September 05, 2012

Raw plum jam - failure ?


This it the seventh recipe in a row evolving around plums a theme. And it the last recipe with plums from my plum "cook-out", so now you and I can relax without plums popping up everywhere on this blog :-)

However, I have really been in doubt, if I should share this specific recipe with you or not, as I consider it as a failure right here and now. After a discussion at work I decide to make raw plum jam or the more correct name is raw marinated plum. In order to make something with accepted shelf-life, I decided to use a ratio of plum and sugar in 1:1, so using the conserving effect of sugar. Anyway, I also decided to add potassium sorbat as well to control the growth of un-wanted micro-organisms in the raw jam.

But 2-3 days after making this raw jam, I noticed, that the jam was split into several phases: sugar at the bottom, juice part in the middle and plums in the top. So the appearance is not appealing at all. I have not taste the raw jam yet.

So right here and now I am questioning, if plums is a good fruit for raw marinating, if the sugar ratio should be lower or higher. If you have comments and suggestions on how to make raw marinated fruit, please leave a comment.


Raw plum jam:

  • 500 g plums - stone remove and medium chopped
  • 500 g sugar
  • 3 tablespoons home-made vanilla sugar
  • potassium sorbate
  1. Stir chopped plums, sugar and vanilla sugar together.
  2. Prepare the jam glasses by filling them with boiling water. Remove the water, before filling them with jam.
  3. Fill the glass with jam and close the glass. Store them cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...