February 05, 2013

Fastelavnsboller med kransekage - Shrodetide bun with marzipan cake filling


Next Sunday is "Fastelavnssøndag" here in Denmark, so it is time for me to try out some new recipes on "fastelavnsboller" (Shrovetide buns). The very first recipe, which I will be testing out in my little kitchen are these fastelavnsboller med kransekage from Odense Marcipan.

However, I have made a few changes in form of reducing the amount of yeast, addition of vanilla sugar into the bun dough and exchanging the chocolate icing with purple muffin icing from Germany instead of.

Otherwise I have sticking to the recipe incl. using the product called Odense kransekage, which costs 45 DKK for 400 g. Here I must admit, that I feel ripped off, when I looked into the ingredient list at home in my kitchen. For me kransekage (marzipan cake) means something, which contains a lot of marzipan !!!! The ingredients list for this specific product was (in falling order): sugar, apricot kernels, egg white, almonds (7%), glucose syrup and starch !!!!!! If I bake these fastelavnsboller another time, I will be making my own marzipan cake filling of only marzipan, icing sugar and egg white.

Fastelavnsboller med kransekage:
  • 350 g milk - 0-3.5% fat
  • 100 g butter - melted
  • 25 g yeast
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
  • 75 g sugar 
  • 600 g wheat flour
  • 400 g ODENSE Kransekage
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoon water
  • 50 g almond flakes 
  1. Melt the butter in a cooking pot, add the milk. Remove the dairy liquid from the cooking pot, when the temperature is warm without being to hot. Add the yeast into this dairy liquid, stir well until the yeast is dissolved.
  2. Add the vanilla sugar, salt and sugar. Stir until everything is dissolved.
  3. Add the wheat flour. Knead the dough together, I usual knead for 10 minutes.
  4. After the kneading process, let the dough raise warm for 1½-2 hour.
  5. De-gas the dough and weigh the dough into 80 g pieces and form a bun.
  6. Place the buns on a piece of baking paper.
  7. Let the buns raise for 45-60 minutes.
  8. Heat the oven to 225'C (conventional oven).
  9. Make a hole in the bun dough using your fingers. Fill the hole with the Kransekage filling.
  10. Glaze the bun with whipped egg and water. Afterwards add almond flakes.
  11. Place the buns in the middle of the hot oven. Bake the buns for 20 minutes.
  12. Let the bun cool down, before they are decorated with purple muffin icing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...