August 21, 2013

Classic rhubarb cordial - easy to make


As I still had some rhubarb stems left from my visit to the garden in Horsens, I decided to make the very last portion of rhubarb cordial of 2013 !!!! This time I used another old recipe clipping from a Danish magazine, where I again have no idea of the original source.

Have a look at the picture of this rhubarb cordial, is it not an amazing dark red colour it is having ? Wauuw I am crazy with this red colour, which I know my cousin will be as well.

Classic rhubarb cordial:
  • 500 g rinsed rhubarb - chopped in to smaller chunks (fresh or frozen)
  • 500 g water
  • 600 g sugar
  1. Cut the rhubarb into pieces of 2 cm.
  2. Add water, sugar and rhubarb into a the cooking pot.
  3. Cook it up and left it cook for 5-10 minutes.
  4. I prefer to keep the lid on the cooking pot on as much as possible in order to keep the  volatile part of the rhubarb flavour inside the cordial instead of loosing to the air.
  5. Remove the cooking pot and place it away from the stove, let it rest for 1 hour
  6. Remove the rhubarb pieces from the cordial part using a sieve.
  7. Pour the rhubarb cordial into bottles, which have been standing with boiling water for 5-10 minutes.
  8. Store the rhubarb cordial in the refrigerator or freeze, as it no anti-microbial have been added.
  9. The rhubarb pieces in the sieve can be turned into a rhubarb compote, which I decided to do. I add sugar until desired sweetness level and juice of ½ lemon. Stir everything well together and place the rhubarb compote in the freezer for later use in desserts.

1 comment:

Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...