September 19, 2013

Scones with apple and walnuts


Some time ago I tried this recipe on scones with apple and walnuts a la Baking Mad, as I really like to walnuts in my little kitchen. However, this recipe "only" contained 40 g of butter, so they turned out to be quiet dry !!!!

So being in line with subtitle of this blog "plenty of butter" I turned my eye to the brilliant baking book "A piece of cake" by Leila Lindholm, which has some excellent recipes on scones with "plenty of butter" inside, actually something like 20 g of butter for each single scone :-)

I made a few modification such as using a mix of wheat flour and whole grain wheat flour to make these scone more healthy !!! This is a joke of mine :-) I mixed in some whole grain wheat flour, as I am having a bag of 2 kg whole grain wheat flour in my kitchen looking at me every day, which is not seeing any significant reduction in it´s weight, so this was just a great opportunity to use some of this flour.

And when I added apple and walnuts on top of the basic scone recipe from ""A piece of cake".

These scones had a fantastic taste and texture, perhaps I should twist another time with addition of some cinnamon, which always is making a great partnership with apples.

As a finishing touch these scones was served together with apple jam, so apple with apple :-)

Scones with apple and walnuts: - 6 pieces
  • 300 g wheat flour flour
  • 150 g whole grain wheat flour
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1½ teaspoon baking powder
  • 50 g sugar
  • 125 g cold butter
  • 1 apple - cored, peeled and diced
  • 25 g walnuts - diced
  • 1 egg
  • 200 g milk
  1. Heat the oven (conventional) to 250'C.
  2. Mix the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
  3. Cut the cold butter into small pieces.
  4. Grind the butter pieces into the flour mix.
  5. Mix the milk and egg together.
  6. Add the milk and egg without kneading into a dough.
  7. Place the dough on a pieces of baking paper.
  8. Flatten the dough into a height of 3 cm.
  9. Use a glass to cut out scone pieces.
  10. Bake the scone at 250'C for 12-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...