May 22, 2015

Brownie-style cake with yogurt


When I saw, that yogurt as a part of the ingredients in the chocolate cake I knew at once, that I need to bake it. Can you actually taste the yogurt ? None, perhaps because I added dark chocolate on top of the cocoa powder. I found the recipe in the small recipe booklet called "Den økologiske bagebog volume 2", which I got at the baking event "Rent Mel i Posen".

When I was reading thorough the recipe, I noticed, that the milk, yogurt and butter should be heated up together in a cooking pot. Yogurt is very sensitive to heat, as it is an acidic dairy product, so the milk protein will curdle, when exposed to heat. I decided to try it, as the amount of the butter is very high, so I thought, that the high fat content could help to protect the milk protein. Even though I heat the mass gently up, the milk mass will curdle, so I had to start all over again. In my second attempt I decided to add the yogurt in the sugar-egg mass, and only heat up the milk and butter.

Perhaps the person, who created this recipe like a curdle and sandy texture in their cake ? However, I really dislike such sandiness !!!!

The cake is not raising a lot during the baking process, as no baking powder is added into the recipe. If you like more normal cake structure instead of brownie-style I would recommend, that you add baking powder into the cake.

Anyway, I like the use of yogurt in this cake, as it is another way of using up yogurt getting old in your refrigerator. And I will bake another version of this cake without the chocolate and adding in some baking powder.

Brownie-style cake with yogurt:
  • 6 eggs
  • 500 g sugar
  • 150 g milk
  • 150 g yogurt
  • 250 g butter
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla sugar
  • 400 g wheat flour
  • 75 g cocoa powder - without sugar
  • 1 orange - without peel, diced into smaller pieces
  • 100 g dark chocolate - roughly chopped
  1. Heat up the fan oven to 180'C.
  2. First whip eggs, sugar and vanilla sugar into a foamy mass. 
  3. Meanwhile heat up the milk and butter in a cooking water, until the butter is melted.
  4. Add in the yogurt into the sugar-egg mass, while whipping.
  5. Afterwards slowly add in the melted butter-milk liquid, while whipping. Keep whipping for another 2 minutes on speed 3.
  6. Sieve the flour and cocoa powder together. Add it into the cake mass, while whipping. 
  7. Also add in the orange and chocolate pieces Stop the whipping, when the flour-cocoa is mixed in. 
  8. Cover either one big baking tray ( 30 x 40 cm) or two smaller baking trays with baking paper.
  9. Pour in the cake dough into the baking trays.
  10. Bake the cake at 180'C for approx. 35 minutes.
  11. Cool down the cake, before you cut and serve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...